South Africa’s Primary Representative to Towing Recovery Operators since 1986
SATRA’s long term goal is to relentlessly drive the standards of the the Towing and Recovery Industry upwards by the achievement of sustainable and continued empowerment of its members and the maintenance and protection of the interests of all its stakeholders.
The South African Towing and Recovery Association was formed by a group of heavy duty towing operators on While SATRA’s primary focus was to comply with the regulatory requirements of the National Department of Transport, SATRA believes that in order for the Towing and Recovery Industry to self regulate effectively, the Industry needs to achieve sustainable growth and maintain high standards of service delivery, ethics and integrity. SATRA’s long term strategy is to relentlessly drive the standards of the the Towing and Recovery Industry upwards by the achievement of sustainable and continued empowerment of its members and the maintenance and protection of the interests of all its stakeholders. SATRA’s stakeholders are SATRA’s customers, suppliers and employees as well as the government and the public.the 26th Nov 1986 and formalized in terms of section 21 of the Companies’ Act of 1973 in 1990. SATRA became dormant thereafter and was resurrected in 2001 after resounding interest by the Towing and Recovery Industry in response to the Proposed Tow Truck Bill, which was aimed at regulation of the Towing and Recovery Industry by the by the National Department of Transport. SATRA commenced operations in January of 2002 and was structured in terms of our constitution.
SATRAssist Help Desk
The SATRAssist Help Desk is a dedicated road emergency help service provider. Our trained and able staff are on call to assist with road related emergencies nationwide.
We also provide a free service to the public in which our Help Deskcall centre operators will provide council on what to do in such case as a vehicle requires towing. Our operators will advise as to whether a towing operator belongs to our nation wide association in which case you will be ensured fair towing rates and storage terms should you so require. We are able effectively mediate in any disputes between our members and the public and effect resolution. In this way we protect both the public as well as our members from the sruples of the industry.
We advises members of the public to channel their road rescue calls through our Help Desk support and avoid exorbitant charges and other risks.
Know Before You Tow
SATRA is able to manage and guide you through the whole process, whether it’s a breakdown or an accident. You can call SATRA for free advice and assistance arrangement on
0861 0 SATRA (0861 0 72872)
We have compiled an informative list of do’s and don’ts to help empower you in a moment when you may be at your most vulnerable:
- Know who your insurer is. Your policy document will detail the name of the underwriting insurer. As an example, Santam underwrites a policy from ABC insurance brokers. If you are not insured, we do offer a credit card facility and will always assist you.
- Make sure your insurer will pay your entire towing bill. If they will only pay a portion. Or have given you a limit, we suggest you change your insurer, because you will find yourself having to negotiate on behalf of your insurer after having paid full premiums for “half a product”. This will never happen if you are insured with a SATRA business partner.
- If you make use of a roadside assistance product. Make sure you know your rights: in almost all cases you or your insurer will be liable to pay the costs of towing an accident-damaged vehicle.
- Only use the services of the first SATRA member to arrive at the scene of an accident. You have the right to choose to use a SATRA member, who is bound by a contractually enforceable code of conduct, and protects you, the consumer, from being charged above market related rates.
- Check the SATRA decal is valid and displays the current year.
- Check the inventory with the SATRA member and sign it off with him. This is what we call the SATRA accident tow authorization form, which is branded with our logo.
- Make sure the SATRA decal number, and registration number of the recovery vehicle is written down on the SATRA accident tow authorization form. Keep a copy on hand for yourself.
- Insist that the SATRA member tows the vehicle to his yard. This is very important to make sure you’re your vehicle is taken to the correct repairer. If you have instructed our member to tow the vehicle anywhere else, SATRA will not intervene.
- Make sure that the accident-damaged vehicle is delivered to a repairer approved by your insurer or, if you are not insured, make sure to collect your vehicle as soon as possible to prevent the accrual of storage charges.
Our emergency help desk is available out of COVID19 lockdown hours. For all other queries please contact us during office hours: Monday – Friday 08:00 – 17:00
011 454 0933
0861 072 872 (Emergency)